Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday Church Services


Tim spoke at the 7:30 am Tamil church service. Most of the Tamil in Sri Lanka are Hindu. In fact the administrator of the college, Selvaraj, is Tamil and converted from Hindu to Christianity as a young man. Tim did a great job and worked well with the pastor as he translated into the Tamil language. We stayed for the English service and Randy gave the sermon at that one.

We ate lunch in the college cafeteria. We are eating a lot of rice! This was served with dried fish (very, very salty) and daal (looks like lentils). I commented that the daal was spicy, Selvaraj looked at me funny and said it was very mild!

From Tim:

It is such so great to experience the Asian culture. Everyone has been so gracious and kind. We could never have known the impact that Randy has had and is having on these people. They have such a huge respect for him and speak often of the ongoing effect of his previous teaching.

Thank you so much for continuing to pray for Randy, Kathy and I as we travel. As I came closer to Sunday when I was to preach, the less prepared and confident I became. Yet, at the same time, there was the most amazing calm in my heart! Once in the pulpit I felt very much at home and comfortable. Working with the translator felt very natural and worked great. I learned later that he was translating both to the Tamil and to the Singlese. I wondered why he was taking longer to say what I had just said! I, again, could not have done this without your prayers!! I speak next on Friday to the students here in Kandy.

Our love and greetings to you all!!

1 comment:

  1. Now that AFB knows you are a spirit led preacher, you just may be the preacher of choice when the pastors are gone. What was your scripture text for the sermon?

    ReplyDelete