Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Adventures of Air Travel - Blog 18

May 21, 2015

Today is the day I must part with my little zoom zoom. The Vauxhall Insignia has been a great car for us to navigate the Highlands of Scotland. It gave us access to places it would have been difficult to enjoy otherwise. The fuel mileage was great on this diesel with lots of power to work with. We returned it very dirty, but not a scratch in site!

I am writing this while sitting at the Birmingham airport in England. Our carrier for the domestic hop to Guernsey Island is Flybe. We asked for an early breakfast at the B and B to allow plenty of time at the Edinburgh airport. I'm glad we did. Checking in revealed that our second leg of the flight had been rescheduled by the airlines without leaving enough time to connect. Fortunately, the airline trainee was able to reroute the whole thing and still get us to Guernsey today. It took her an immense amount of time, but it will work.

We also learned  that the cost for baggage in the US is cheap! The fee for checking your luggage was 40 English pounds per bag per leg of the flight. We checked the size of our bags and mine would pass as carry-on but hard as we tried, Kathy's would not. $130 US dollars later we head to the plane. The airline version of a Mini Cooper was waiting on the tarmac. I have not seen the truck in the Mini Cooper, but I think there is clearly more room than what I had for my, now carry-on luggage. Even though my bag fit in the little measuring device at the airport, there was no way it was going into the overhead glove compartment on this airplane. That meant it was destined for the small area designed for my feet!  With my feet on top of the bag the ole knee caps were nearly eye level. The saving grace was the flight was only fifty minutes long. Since I sleep in the fetal position anyway, I took a quick nap!

I am now writing from Guernsey Island! We had a great flight with plenty of room! We took the bus from the airport to downtown and walked along the beach front to the harbor facing St George's Guest House. We even spotted a castle in the harbor area. Should be a fun few days ahead.

Tim and Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment