Saturday, February 5, 2011

Photos of Hindu and Buddhist Holy Sites






When blogging yesterday I did not have the photos nor the names of the shrines with me. We only have access to the internet when we are at the Himalayan Graduate School of Theology so I have to seize the opportunity as it arises.

The Hindu site we visited is called Pashupatinath and it is Nepal’s holiest Hindu site. Vijay explained that if you are cremated here that you are assured of going to heaven.

The Buddhist site is called Swayambhu. It is a stupa, which is a dome shaped shrine. The stupa is very large and dominates the hilltop. It is surrounded by many smaller shrines of both Buddha and the Hindu gods. The smell of incense pervades the area. We were able to sit and have tea at the Café de Stupa.

1 comment:

  1. This fall I met a woman from Nepal. She live in the town where Gautama Buddha was born. Is that any where near Kathmandu? I don't remember the name of the town.

    ReplyDelete